Safety Standards Overview
Mandatory standard - Prams and strollers
Previous edition AS/NZS 2088:2000. Current and Sixth edition 2009.
Published on 14 December 2009 the mandatory standard for prams and strollers (Australian Standard AS/NZS 2088:2009 'Prams and strollers - safety requirements') covers all aspects of safety requirements. The standard covers performance testing, design, construction, safety warnings and informative labels for prams and strollers. It specifies the materials, construction performance and labelling requirements for prams, strollers and their accessories.
What is a pram?
Under the new standard a pram is "a wheeled vehicle with a body of box-like or boat-like shape designed to carry a baby or child weighing up to and including 9kg, primarily in a fully reclined position."
What is a stroller?
Under the new standard a stroller is "a wheeled vehicle designed to transport a child in a seated position that may also be adjusted to a semi-reclined or fully reclined position."
NB. Combination prams/strollers: seat children in an upright, semi reclined or fully reclined position, therefore are considered strollers under the mandatory standard.
- Serious injury or death
- Limb and finger injuries
- Strangulation or suffocation
Design and construction - prams and strollers
- Parking device
- Tether strap
- Pass Performance testing
Design and construction - strollers only
- Safety harness
- Waist straps
- Crotch straps
- Head barrier
Safety warnings - prams and strollers
- "WARNING: USE THIS STRAP TO STOP THE PRAM/STROLLER ROLLING AWAY"
- "FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURER’S INSTRUCTIONS"
- "PUT ON ALL THE BRAKES WHENEVER YOU PARK THE PRAM/STROLLER"
- "DO NOT LEAVE CHILDREN UNATTENDED"
- "DO NOT CARRY EXTRA CHILDREN OR BAGS ON THIS PRAM/STROLLER"
- "MAKE SURE CHILDREN ARE CLEAR OF ANY MOVING PARTS IF YOU ADJUST THE PRAM/STROLLER, OTHERWISE THEY MAY BE INJURED"
Safety warnings - strollers only
- "WARNING: USE THIS HARNESS AT ALL TIMES"
- "NOT RECOMMENDED FOR A CHILD UNDER 6 MONTHS OLD"
Informative labels—prams and strollers
Prams and strollers must be permanently and conspicuously marked with:
- the registered trade name and address in Australia and New Zealand of either the manufacturer, importer or supplier,
- the model name or model number of the pram or stroller.
For full information on the above please visit http://www.productsafety.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/974064/fromItemId/974044
*As resource locations can change you may also find the above information by visiting www.productsafety.gov.au. Navigate to Infant & Nursery and then Prams & strollers. You will also see a list of all other baby products and other product categories.
NB. Remember that saftey standards and warnings do not keep your baby safe, YOU following these safety standards and heeding the warnings is what will keep you and your child safe and sound.